BACKGROUND

The site was home to the Capitol Cinema until it was demolished in 1959.

The current building is a concrete frame block built in 1962 comprising undercroft parking at ground floor level with four upper floors of office space comprising 3,437 sqm.

The building is currently under-occupied as low grade office accommodation.

The site would benefit from Permitted Development rights to convert the existing building to residential apartments without the need for planning permission. However, Dandara does not consider that the existing building positively contributes to Winchmore Hill and that its demolition and replacement with a high quality, contextually sensitive new building would significantly benefit the area.

The existing building is a uniform, five-storey single mass that is clearly visible from key local viewpoints. As a building sitting on a landmark site it has low architectural merit and does not contribute to the character of the local area. The building is defined by horizontally banded black and white render, concrete and glass design that lacks variety in architectural detail.

There is an obvious opportunity to replace an unattractive and under performing building with a high quality, modern building which sits positively at this key location and represents an attractive addition to the locality.

header

Welcome | Background | Exhibition Boards | Design Approach | Facts & Figures | Feedback

Click images to enlarge